Legend of the game Roger Federer has recently admitted that he is ‘a little worried’ over the future of tennis.
The 37-year-old is currently competing at the Indian Wells Masters, defeating Polish international Hubert Hurkacz in the last eight on Friday.
The win means the Swiss star will now face long-term rival and friend Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals after he defeated Russian Karen Khachanov.
Federer, who claimed his 100th career title at the Dubai Tennis Championship earlier this month, has had his concerns over the Next Gen Finals and the ATP Cup coming into play to rival the Davis Cup next year.
Chris Kermode, the current ATP executive chairman and president, is set to step down from his role at the end of the year after proposing the controversial changes.
And talking to Tages Anzeiger, cited by the Daily Express, Federer was asked about the future of the game, to which he answered:
You probably said it right – a little worried.
I still feel the tour is going well, we have great matches, the prize money increased, stadiums are packed.
ITF tries to be innovative, ATP as well, Laver Cup is going well. The tour’s profits are okay. Just the politics is around buzz.
Some players disagree with each other, tournaments and players have not the same opinion.
And that’s the state of mind – you cannot say explosive but there are some uncertainties.
Someone says ‘that’s just a moment’. Let’s see what happens in the next months.
Despite Federer’s worry, the 37-year-old, who has been heavily linked with retirement in recent months, is expected to carry on playing in 2020 and could well overtake Jimmy Connors’ all-time record of 109 career titles.